Saturday, June 13, 2009

Networking with Partners - Good For Business

I had the pleasure of catching up with Ryan 'Fuzzy' Spillane of Correct Solutions this week in Brisbane and thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to 'chew the fat' and exchange experiences running SMB IT businesses.

Ryan and Wayne Small have a fantastic and long established business in Sydney and are the 'go to' partner that other partners turn to when things get messy. Whilst their business model is very different to ours - as some of you know its managed services or nothing at all here at Directions Technology - I certainly picked up a few great ideas from Ryan's approach to running his business and confirmed a few of my own thoughts too.

So if you are sitting on the fence about attending Microsoft WPC, APC or TechEd, maybe you need to evaluate the networking benefits of attending these events. To me, just the face time we get with Microsoft execs at these events makes it worthwhile. Not to mention its a great way to step away from the day to day running of your business and get some perspective on things. For many business owners who still work day to day on their business, this is sorely needed.

Anyway, I enjoyed my chat with Ryan so much time completely ran away with me and I found myself running late for a Penfolds Grange wine tasting I was supposed to be at. Luckily I didn't miss any of the good stuff which included two esteemed vintages, the '81 and the delicious '89.

Wine Trivia: The name Grange came from the cottage where the Penfolds family lived, a 1951 Grange is undrinkable but now worth $60,000 and the starting price for this year’s vintage is $650.

I think I need to work on boosting our revenues at Directions so I can lay down a few bottles of the 2004 vintage, released last month!


Keira McIntosh is the General Manager at Directions Technology - an Australia owned small business providing managed and reliable IT Support in Brisbane. You can also find her on Twitter and Linked In.

No comments:

Post a Comment